Resident Care Manager 01-2015
The purpose of this position is to provide management direction and leadership to the site care aides and nursing staff in alignment with Franciscan Ministries, Inc. (FMI) policies and procedures and maintains positive interactions with all people during the performance of their job responsibilities. This position provides oversight and supervision of day-to-day resident care services to ensure that this department contributes to the long term viability of the property. This position frequently requires independent judgment, timely management of deadlines as well as discretion in carrying out responsibilities. Must support through words and actions the Mission, Vision and Values of the Wheaton Franciscan System.
It is the responsibility of every associate to Work Green. Working Green means making environmentally responsible decisions regarding business practices and purchases that impact the earth and its resources. Associates are expected to support initiatives within the System that promotes our care for creation. This includes waste reduction, water conservation, energy conservation, pollution prevention and environmentally preferable purchasing.
• Operates the department within the financial guidelines and budget approved by FMI. Meets with administrator monthly for performance updates to ensure spending within budget guidelines.
• Leads and supervises staff in alignment with FMI policies and property objectives. Evaluates and determines staffing needs. Adjusts staff schedules to ensure sufficient staffing at all times for an effective and efficient delivery of resident care services. Completes new employee orientation per human resource (HR) guidelines. Provides a clearly defined staff training program as well as personal and professional development opportunities for successful job performance to meet regulatory/licensing requirements. Holds at least monthly meetings as a group that include discussion of work place safety, resident care issues, upcoming inspections, events that impact the resident care services, etc. Prepares staff for state inspections and other regulatory requirements governing assisted living as related to resident care. Promotes an atmosphere of open and honest communication regarding employee performance through on-going informal and formal communication. Administers staff performance evaluations as well as corrective actions per policy if needed.
• Operates a safe, sanitary and efficiently run department. Ensures that all medications, supplies and materials are accounted for and disposed of in accordance with best health practices and Occupational, Safety and Health Act (OSHA) guidelines. Monitors medication needs of residents requiring supervision and communicates needs to pharmacy and physician.
• Responsible for resident services in alignment with regulatory requirements and service plan objectives to ensure a well-integrated network of services. Conducts health screening programs for residents and educates residents and staff on health related issues. Provides input for the monthly resident newsletter. Assumes on-call responsibility for emergencies and resident care questions. Communicates effectively with other service providers, i.e., hospice, physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy concerning resident needs. Acts as liaison between community agencies, service providers, families and residents.
• Ensures all documentation is current, filed immediately, secured, and meets all FMI and regulatory requirements. Evaluates and assesses all residents prior to move in and as needed per state guidelines. Also notes and records significant changes in resident status, establishes plan of action, and/or level of care and obtains physician referral/report as needed. Completes service plan before move-in and updates as needed with input from the interdisciplinary team. Ensures resident files are current per FMI requirements and state regulations by completing periodic audits.
• Maintains positive relations with residents, families, staff, physicians and others. Maintains positive relationships with pharmacists and physicians through open and frequent communication of resident needs and conditions. Develops positive relationships with families, liaisons and staff through open, honest and respectful communication.
• Holds current license and is in good standing as a Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse as related to facility regulatory guidelines.
• Ability to obtain Administrator Certification within first 90 days or when class is next offered.
• 2 - 4 years of experience in general or geriatric nursing required. Supervisory experience preferred
• Valid driver s license required.
• Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel and Outlook)
• Excellent reading, writing and arithmetic skills with emphasis in weights and measurements.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Basic math skills required
• Strong self-management and organizational skills.
• Effective leadership and supervision skills.
• Strong multi-tasking abilities with the ability to handle competing deadlines, flexible and adaptable in a constantly changing environment.
• Ability to effectively handle difficult and sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
• Membership in appropriate professional organizations preferred or must become affiliated within six months of hire.
To learn more or to apply, please visit our website at www.fm-inc.org You may also contact our Human Resources Department at (630) 909-7114.